Tuesday, September 4, 2012

And Jesus said, "Come..."

Written by Heidi. Knowing there is a plan for my life helps me. Knowing Jesus is alongside me comforts me. Knowing that He will come again and make things right gives me hope, joy, and peace.

Matthew 11:28-30 (NLT)
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

Rick Warren tweeted this yesterday:
"I've read many wise and beautiful words from Plato and Cicero, but neither said, 'Come to me, you who are burdened." Augustine

I looked up this quote on www.brainyquote.com and it says:
 I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.
Saint Augustine

Reading the tweet first led me to the scripture and then all of this just got me to thinking about how God is there for us... for me... and how I don't trust Him nearly enough.

I do not handle change very well. This move to Louisville has been tough on me. I still haven't figured out where I fit in here. Some things are starting to come to light, but I struggle everyday with loneliness and working out how we are to function here. It is so different in Louisville than anywhere else we have ever lived. (We have lived in Iowa, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.) And we, of course, are at a different phase of life than we ever have been before. Everything is new and I am constantly trying to find my "level"... my comfort. And when it comes down to it, as personable as I may seem, I am introverted. Connecting is twice as hard for someone who would rather just hang out at home or with her family. Then comes the complaining... "Why are we here? Why am I stuck here when I liked how life was going where we were?" I become tired of the things I used to like... or not sure if I can figure out how to fit in the things I used to do in this new life schedule. Well, if I gave Him a chance, Jesus is my level. He carries half the yoke... but I am so determined to yank the thing all by myself!

We are quickly approaching our 10th-11th month of living here... and I haven't given it up to Him. Here I have a loving God who wants to hear from me and wants me to find rest in Him and I don't do it. Why? (More accurately, I have given Him plenty of the complaining, but I have not been patient to listen for Him to give me direction nor been still enough to just let Him do things and watch for them to happen. I am a TERRIBLE listener!)

There are SO many other people out there with religions or without religions where they have to do all the work... they have to figure out for themselves what will bring them peace or give them what they want. I have a God who is so wonderful and giving and I don't have to do a thing except let Him do these things. I accept Jesus as my Savior and now I have to let Him be that. (Romans 11:6 And since it is through God's kindness, then it is not by their good works. For in that case, God's grace would not be what it really is - free and undeserved.) Because I am NOT God. He is. He knows what I need... which is more important than what I want. (So thankful for that!)

So it comes down to this and I have to realize: it is not about being comfortable or having things work out just right for me. It is not about me. No, life does not become easy and luxurious after letting God in, but at least I know I am not alone and that I am deeply loved. God is consistent and I am thankful.
Here you go, God. Turn my fear and gripes into good things for You! Let me live and work with joy FOR YOU! (Colossians 3:23 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.) And I know that You promise peace and eventually life with You. Thank You!
(We are finding new peace, slowly but surely. We are blessed with a nice place to live in a quiet neighborhood. We are blessed with a school where the kids are learning about God right along with their other studies. Including Spanish, which is something I am also excited about. :-) And Derek has been busy at work... which will help us financially. And I have been given time to study God's word and am trying to get closer with Him. All of this is new and all of this is working out for the good. Glory to God!) 


3 comments:

  1. Moving is so hard. I have found that I never really feel "comfortable" with a new place until I have been there for 2-3 years (and usually we end up moving right when I start to like the place -ha!) God is so patient with us. I often think He must get so frustrated with us when we stubbornly try to "go it alone". All we have to do is Ask - He wants us to be happy and he will show us how - but we do have to "ask". He never forces anything on us. Usually if I can remind myself to focus on all that I am grateful for, then whatever it is that was discouraging me doesn't seem so bad. The situation doesn't change, but I do. Pray for a good friend and know that your distant friends will be praying for you too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the prayers, Toni! I have found great peace in giving thanks... crazy how ungrateful one can get!!! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I never have to move again. Our last one was hard because I had one daughter (17) so happy and one (8) so sad. It took her a year before she was happy and momma's heart ached that whole time. Looking back to the past 11 years I see the hand of God everywhere. I love how God showed you the blessings and you focus on them. He's good--in the hard times, too.

    ReplyDelete